The Editor is currently not accepting submissions.
Please note that review time is between 4 to 12 months after the Editor receives a submission.
Follow these 3 rules to make sure your story fits the Story Bytes format. If you have any questions please feel free to contact the editor.
(1) Story length must fall on a power of 2.That's 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 and 2048 words long. Stories must match one of these lengths exactly. See below for details.(2) You must agree to free electronic duplication of your story.
Only stories between 64 and 1024 words long are being accepted.
The following rights notice is placed on all Story Bytes:(3) Please submit stories as plain text to <firstname.lastname@example.org>, and include the word count.
The author(s) hereby *grant* the right to electronically distribute this story via e-mail, ftp, and/or usenet news for non-profit purposes provided the story, title, authorship, and copyright (including this notice) remain in their original form, without modification or deletion.
The easiest way to do so is to simply copy it from your word processor and paste it into an e-mail message. Specify the word count below the title.
Story Bytes are free in electronic form. That means anyone can copy, e-mail, post, and otherwise transmit a Story Byte on the Internet without paying for it. However, If someone wants to charge for a Story Byte---in electronic or printed form---or put it on a for-profit Web Site, they must obtain permission from you, the author.
If accepted, your story will be sent to the Story Bytes mailing list. After that, it will be placed on the Story Bytes Web Site in HTML and PDF formats for as long as Story Bytes maintain a presence on the Internet.
You retain all duplication rights to the story, except that you give away the right to free electronic transmission and duplication as specified in the rights notice above. Copyright registration of your story is also your responsibility---Story Bytes does not register individual story copyrights; it's assumed you've done so yourself. You can obtain copyright information at the Library of Congress Copyright Office.
Here's some pointers for determining word count.
Thanks for your interest in making a submission. If you have any questions or comments about these guidelines, please send e-mail to the editor.
- The story's title does not count toward the story length.
- Hyphenated (compound) words count as a single word.Anything like "open-hearted," "smart-alec" or "matter-of-factly" count as one word. Some words work either with or without a hyphen, so it is often up to your discretion.
- Play-form dialogue markers do not count toward story length.If you submit something in a play format, do not count any of the dialogue markers.
- The following example counts as 8 words.
Hey JoeJoe: "I shot my woman down."
James Marshall Hendrix
Jimmy: (Ironically.) "Hey Joe!"